Author Topic: a small progress  (Read 3549 times)

megariffer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
a small progress
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:03:42 am »
hello!? anyone still here?

if someone is still interested, i revived my 2 year old project, and made a small progress with it.
there is nothing much shown in the video, but the important things are happening under the hood.
i managed to make a script, which loads all the parts data from an external file, and builds a "database" from them. this way you can add or remove parts easily from your inventory. there is a compatibility check, too for all those "pay attention dummy!" goodness. i don't know if any of this makes sense, the important thing to note here is that i managed to make a system, which can be used to build engines in the game with any detail. so far i only use 3 levels, as seen in old SR games (engine, manifold, carbs), but i can go as deep as i want, even add every link in a chain separately. there are still a lot of things to do, but i think i can show you a playable demo soon. as things progress around here, soon can mean anything between a few weeks and a decade.

so without further ado, here comes the video i recorded (pay no attention to the flipped wheels please)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imSjH9ChCx0&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:17:29 am by megariffer »
B wn b ru wn zhī, wn zhī b ru jin zhī, ji

cdoublejj

• View Profile
Re: a small progress
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:30 pm »
What software are you using? By that I mean are you still playing with Unity? I had unity 3d loaded up before i had to format my computer. After that Unreal Engine release a new version that is supposed ot be easy to use like unity but, also allow access to source code, it's free if your game is free and isn't toooo price to license.

I only ask because some wants Unity 3D and Some wanted Irrilicht and I wonder if the new Unreal could be a compromise.

That aside what i see in your video looks REALLY awesome!!! Having said that I don't know what really say because it's... very good work. For being such an early piece of software i can't see any thing negative to say that's for sure. I'll tell you what though MAN IS THAT SITE FOR SORE EYES!!! It's nice to get a glimpse of SR3 in the 21st century!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:57:08 pm by cdoublejj »

megariffer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:18 am »
hi cj,

im still using unity. as there are only me working on the project, i wouldn't say that 'some wants to use irrlicht'. and besides, i think unity is the best way to go for indie development, as its asset store is really big and full of very useful things, like vehicle physics. i couldn't find any good vehicle physics scripts in unreal or crytek so far. there is beamng for example, but that would also cost money for sure. so i will stick with unity for sure.

also, thanks for the compliments! the models are from our forum member FLED, but he seems to have disappeared, i will try and get back to him soon. in the demo, though i'm planning to use only one car.
B wn b ru wn zhī, wn zhī b ru jin zhī, ji

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 07:37:48 am »
Makes sense. There is another thread with or 2 users playing with irrilicht, I think this might be the thread it has screen shots:

http://forums.streetrod3.com/index.php?topic=4223.0

Battlewagon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »
I've found the "Pop the Hood" videos on YouTube.  The garage scene looks very far along, at least.  Is there any news?  I'm currently in a computer science diploma program with access to Unity and 3D StudioMax (as well as Blender and the stuff I had before), so I might be able to push it along.

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:33:14 pm »
As far as I know it's just scene with some features but, i could be wrong the author could have developed more bits and pieces and or scenes.

maxstreetrodder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 08:39:22 am »
hey you guys! so nice to see youre up doing it! i was the designer of the logo a good while ago...so funny to look at it!!,only rememeber a guy called jason b in that team..? never was to much into games but am a gear head and always loved the srI and srII. good luck and keep up!! sure am gonna try this!!

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 08:51:14 pm »
Jason started SR3, assuming i'm not mixing up names after all these years.

Chuckmeister85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 11:13:01 pm »
How is the progress of the small progress?

maxstreetrodder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 05:32:34 am »
That Jason, yes sir, anyway im gonna keep posted very nice memories of those years. Amazed that the logo holds on haha!! Cheers.

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 02:56:18 pm »
You sure about that?  :D

maxstreetrodder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 01:40:11 pm »
boom!!! good you have those files!! they got lost (with all my 3d modelling, PS, years of files...) long ago!! nice thanks to put it there, ohhh all hail the chrome god!

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 11:32:20 pm »
I have some stuff. Hellmark may still have more. I know he still has hard drive that died way back when with more stuff on it. Maybe has bad hard drive recovery services get cheaper it might be possible to send it in for a recovery.

mean while I seem to have lost a large swath of pictures of hot rod hangs out gas stations and various street racing photographs but, that's not so bad because i keep coming across more on the internet.

I also wrote a little article that explains the  history/evolution of SR3. IDK when it will posted on the main page it may still need a lot of editing since i'm the worlds worst writer, see'in as I. R. can't English to gud. I think it has pics of the old old site and the old 2D sr3 but, work has melted my brain a bit lately to remember too well.

ST1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 05:30:27 pm »
You guys should store such data on the cloud now...

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 10:12:40 pm »
I don't run the server or anything. Venomous host it on the one he rents. Though I'm working on my own cloud in the near future. I have a decent server or 2 and commercial grade UPS and domain name. I just need a a decent Layer 2 switch, to clear out some space and some time and I should be able to set something up.