Author Topic: Tags in kit parts, and the need for an SR3 wiki.  (Read 3829 times)

Battlewagon

• View Profile
Tags in kit parts, and the need for an SR3 wiki.
« on: December 03, 2012, 03:11:35 pm »
I have a question about the exhaust kits in Street Rod 3, particularly if there's a comprehensive list of the performance bits in the game.  I've never seen the code, so I have no idea.  I did spend a few hours over the past few days (since discovering SR3), making mods, but what I can do is limited by the fact that I don't really know how the game works. 

Some sort of Wiki connected to this site or Sourceforce would be a welcome addition to help developers, since this is supposed to be a mass amateur effort (right?).  I've previously developed plugs for Redline, so I have some experience, but everyone would benefit from the Wiki, I think.  For that matter, they would probably benefit more than me.  At the very least, we should know what tags are used in SR3 files for performance variables, etc. 

I also note, and I know this is nothing new, that SR3 is still in Alpha, so there are a number of little bugs like the fact that engines can rev up but not down.  That's fine for drag racing, but not for a track.  But....everyone knows this.  The reason I discovered SR3 is that I had been thinking this would be a good idea, after experimenting with SR2.  For that matter, I'd love to know how to mod SR2 while SR3 is still in development, and I understand that this project started out as that.  It also still needs sound....but the removal of the horrible soundtrack of SR2 is probably an improvement.   ;D

In any case, it would be interesting to know more about this project.  I can't devote my life to it, but it would be an interesting project to be involved in.

megariffer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tags in kit parts, and the need for an SR3 wiki.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »
hello there

the problem is, all the developers, who worked on this downloadable SR3 alpha are gone by now.
so we know as little as you do about the code :)
you can download it and figure it out for yourself if you want, but that is a complete dead-end,
and the game should be completely rewritten from scratch.
the problem is, there are only 2 coders around (giszo and myself), and apart from technical issues (we still didn't even decide on what game engine to use), we have huge problems managing our resources for this project (meaning: too damn lazy). so development is stuck at this point, but i'm quite positive it will start again in the near future (in the next few years... ok maybe decades... our children will surely finish it... or theirs.... that's for sure).

so you can tweak around with the old alpha version, but unfortunately nobody can help you at all, sine we don't know much abut that either.
B wn b ru wn zhī, wn zhī b ru jin zhī, ji

Battlewagon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:19:07 pm »
Well....I'm not a coder.  :-)  I did look at the .exe today with PSPad, but that only yielded the strings.  The hexadecimal code didn't translate into any other recognizable text.  Does anyone know what engine was used originally (for SR3)?  It seems that today the way to go would be to use an open-source game engine or physics engine, and plug in the models and textures.  Of course, the garage scene would have to be done separately, being added on somehow.  I don't know what the non-competitive agreement is with the developers of Redline, who it should be said built one of the closer games to Street Rod 3, only with way better physics, and not as much in-game modding. 

On a related subject, do you know of any way to mod Street Rod 2, just for fun?

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:44:29 am »
the physics were powered by coldet but, pretty much it was all home made back before there were open source options for 3d.

I think the old sr3 source can still be found.

Battlewagon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 06:20:04 am »
Well then.....two questions.  Firstly, where?  Secondly, do you know how to decode the hex?  I don't mean to text, I mean to programming language.  Getting text is easy, and practically every website misunderstands the question.  Even I KNOW that hex is just text to a computer....if text was what it was originally.  My question was more with respect to SR2 (the mods would be obsolete, but still a lot of fun), but fixing the most annoying aspects of the SR3 alpha in the meantime might be nice too.  I could at least continue what I've started then.  I made a few SR3 add-ons before I realized that there are more fundamental issues with it.  The alpha looks so nice at first that it's easy to be fooled.

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 08:12:45 pm »
I think Hellmark has a copy and the old site had a copy. you might try here,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/streetrod3/files/?source=navbar

also we had a google code page

Battlewagon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:08:23 pm »
Yeah, I've got that already.  Again, it seemed to just be the same as the program, plus some stuff that didn't mean anything in hex (to me).  I could look again tomorrow to see if I missed something obvious.  Do you know if the files are written in C, C++, or some other easy-to-recognize language?

cdoublejj

• View Profile