Android
0 (0%)
DOS =)
0 (0%)
Other (i'll explain in comment)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 23, 2012, 08:35:20 am

Author Topic: Multiple OS Compatibility  (Read 11382 times)

cdoublejj

• View Profile
Re: Multiple OS Compatibility
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 02:05:24 pm »
Well a game engine we are looking to use pretty much does that for you.

Maxaxle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 11:59:14 am »
Well a game engine we are looking to use pretty much does that for you.
Cool!...but how?

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 12:14:52 am »
I guess when it "compiles" it gives you the option to make Macintosh executable as well as windows, and if rumors/news are correct it will do it for linux too in the future. I don't really know the specifics but, when things settle down for me i need to get my ass in gear and do some research on the game engine.

Venomous

• Administrator
  • Social Deviancy:- www.socialdeviancy.com
    • View Profile
    • Social Deviancy
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 11:05:22 am »
Actually Max, the question of multi-OS support is largely important to what language(s) and engine(s) we decide to use to develop the game. You can't just make a Windows game and then suddenly decide to make it Linux compatible, for example. The support for the OSs you want to run it on is inherent to the core. That's why I posted this thread, to get some feedback on which OSs the community would like to see included before we start development on the new game. =)
For more off-topic banter, bullshit and chit-chat, please visit SR3's sister site, Social Deviancy!

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 04:01:48 am »
Well one of the most famous video game companies of all time, Valve are even porting steam and Left4Dead 2 to ubuntu linux, couple that with the fact that an engine we are looking at using is also coming to linux i'm thinking the project has always been on the mark aiming for multi OS compatibility.

Maxaxle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 12:35:33 pm »
I'm no developer, and I'm probably going to make a fool of myself by saying this, but I've heard really good things about Python. How viable is it as a scripting language?

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 12:02:22 am »
It would be very expensive unless you can find a lead programer to work for free and they are incredibly rare. i've only ever seen one dedicated lead programmer and project manager and that is Zini of project OpenMW.

TSJ

• A classic 1932 hotrod never gets old
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 03:12:41 am »
It seems that version 4.5.1f3 of the free unity suite is able to compile to the following platforms:

web player, Windows, macosx, Linux, IOS, android, blackberry, Windows store, Windows phone 8, Xbox 360, Xbox one, ps vita, ps4

QUITE an impressive list that unity is presenting :)
Pedal to the metal

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 11:28:22 am »
Yeah but, for now i THINK we will be focusing on windows, linux and mac. I hear talk Sony has a somewhat open policey/easy access for indie devs on PS4. which could possible maybe be doable in the distant future since the most technically advanced of the 2 consoles but, that's just speculation.

Maxaxle

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 09:56:54 am »
Quick idea: The Wii is notoriously easy to hack/make homebrew for/etc, so why not try a proof-of-concept on it? I only bring it up b/c I can test anything you need tested (as I *have* a Wii).

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 12:32:17 am »
it would be unofficial in that case. The Wii U is out and is the new thing. It would require manually programming. IT would require it's separate assets from the project, ever 3d model and texture would have to be re-made. it would require a very very very good understanding of how the wii works.

TSJ

• A classic 1932 hotrod never gets old
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 02:50:13 am »
I also have an old wii (used mostly for playing FPS games with lightguns and lightrifles)...

But I think we need to get something working on windows first.

You can always experiment on the wii on your own and if you get something to work on it, then we might be able to use those experiences if we make a version for the wii u? I also think that the Wii U is able to run Wii games/homebrew IIRC.

We should keep i mind though that the Wii and Wii U as platforms are dead. Nintendo has officially announced that they consider the platform to be dead.

So any Wii version would be just for the fun of it.
Pedal to the metal

Maxaxle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 07:25:48 pm »
OFC I know the Wii is dead. It's just easier to hack and develop for than PCs, AFAIK.

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 06:48:59 am »
OFC I know the Wii is dead. It's just easier to hack and develop for than PCs, AFAIK.

Actually it's hard to develop for than the PC. With Unity a lot of the programing is done for us, with the wii we would probably have to program a game engine from scratch, that's speculation though.

would have to re do everything from the ground and by hand.