Author Topic: Using Unity  (Read 3400 times)

cdoublejj

• View Profile
Using Unity
« on: May 27, 2014, 03:26:20 pm »
perhaps this might be a place to start try and get familiarized with unity?

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/10

It would be nice to get things warmed up/crawling but, boy is it easier said than done.

Maxaxle

• View Profile
Re: Using Unity
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 03:55:20 pm »
I've never fiddled with Unity myself, and considering my only really stable computer is running Lubuntu, I don't have the chance at the moment.

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:42:21 am »
NO WAY!!! I too use Lbuntu, IMHO it's the best *buntu distro. (though i triple boot) Does unity not run on linux? i know it will compile the games/projects for linux.

I'll offer my knowledge if it can help you with your computer, i do computer repairs and modification/building for a living. if that's of any use/help.

Maxaxle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:32:54 pm »
1. There isn't an official release for any Linux distro, so I'd assume it doesn't work unless you turn to WINE.
2. Kickass, man. Just curious, ever heard of PlayDeb? I'd recommend checking it out if you're looking for uberquick, ubereasy game installation.

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:47 pm »
Yeah you can make game for linux but, develop them on linux.... YET. they are working on it though.

Checking out Play Deb now.

EDIT:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=28175

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30451
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:59:50 pm by cdoublejj »

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 01:09:34 am »
Been busy. Need to make self get back to finishing the new Article and then i probably need to try and also force my self to get in to unity, i've kind of glazed over it so far. i think the scripting is really putting me off since i don't know how to program.

I'm also getting rusty, i used to be pretty good at Z molder now i kind of suck at it. I was hopeless with 3ds max after watching a good chunk of a decent good pay for guide but, my hang up on that almost all of the methods require being a skilled drawer and having a tablet to draw on.

With Z modeler i can make stuff from primitives but, i ran in to some wall with some shapes/forms.. specially when i tried to make the domed rounded rectangle roof fora 50s/60s dinner.

I really need to do that article. ESPECIALLY since we lack an archive of the old forums. It would also be the first step of getting every one the same page and synchronized as far as the "what's what" of it. Then Unity comes in to play as well as maybe art/designs.

Too bad we aren't a full fledged studio it would be cool to have like design sketches or mock ups of stuff when the time comes but, also for a "what it could be like" scenario so people have some imagery to associate with SR3 or with development/3d/2d modeling.

However i've been kind of busy lately, also haven't been feeling to well either. 

TSJ

• A classic 1932 hotrod never gets old
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:58:07 pm »
It seems that uniy will import 3ds models just as easy as assets from the assets store

It is impressive what can be found in the assets store and also what can be found as free 3d models on various free sites such as http://tf3dm.com/, some even in 3ds format.
Pedal to the metal

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 08:07:17 am »
With great Power comes great responsibility. Assuming the assets on the assets store aren't ripped off, Turbo Squid has this problem.

Waste Land 2 uses the Unity Store to source assets but, it's biggest problem is all the art styles being combine in one to games makes it seems cartoony and disproportionate, I actually made a write on their forums about it.

The problem with such things is art style each artist has different art style it's not so bad with the more realistic stuff it's done to scale in which case it probably has the correct or close to correct proportion.

Proportion is something i see as being important as with waste land 2 it can make or break the style.

Grant it i'm putting the wagon the before the horse here, for demo purposes it's not any big deal. I guess I'm just throwing out some stuff to think about in the future.

TSJ

• A classic 1932 hotrod never gets old
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 02:50:47 pm »
Agreed, we will need to recreate some of the models along the way
Pedal to the metal

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 06:47:33 am »
TBH, I'd only expect to be able to use a few store assets along the way and would just assume expect to make every thing from scratch like the old days.

On side note for the past few years i' have been collecting and amassing a large collection of photos that inspire and represent period correct things such as props and buildings that could be used for ideas and inspiration for modeling for SR3. basically an idea what what kind of things should be in the game and what they should look like.

Ludders

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 04:06:33 am »
hi all, new to this place but I am hoping to become "part of the fruniture".

I have experience with 3ds max and I have just begun teaching myself Unity.

My goal is to get an Australian version of this going, based maybe in the late 70s early 80's.

Heres some of my work:

https://www.facebook.com/autosketchin

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 06:19:21 am »
That's some mighty fine 3D modeling you have there!

ST1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 07:46:06 am »
Welcome Ludders!!!!