Author Topic: usability discussion about the old streetrod games  (Read 10725 times)

TSJ

• A classic 1932 hotrod never gets old
    • View Profile
Pedal to the metal

cdoublejj

• View Profile
Re: usability discussion about the old streetrod games
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:46:56 pm »
Good read. One thing it mentions is conveying what it is like to be a mechanic, that is one thing Hellmark and lost of SR3 took pride in, in the past, through various ideas and game design elements was true mechanical realism.

Not any of that kit 1 and kit 2 sissy bullshit, true to real life mechanics! Engine blocks pistons, cranks, rods , transmissions, water pumps, alternators carbs, camshafts etc etc. Don't forget modifications too chop tops, bumper removal, over bores, ride height adjustment, muffler removal etc etc.

That is one thing about SR3 I hold close to heart is true to life street racing and mechanics. No other game EVER has done it like SR3, many have done things similar but, it is SR3's combination of multiple game play styles that make it unique.

The only sad thing is no one has ever gotten far enough to implement every thing that was/is planned out for it.

I've never forgotten about or given up on SR3 a day in my life nor do i plan to it
s been my dream to help make it a reality. If not for SR3's uniqueness and character and my love for cars and video games.

A game that truly conveys how street racing once was in the glory days, not today like NFS as the article mentions. Usability or simplicity can down the hole if you can't figure it out go grab a manual or go back to the xbox.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:54:20 pm by cdoublejj »

TSJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:38:23 am »
I totally agree. the mechanic aspect of the game is just as important as the racing aspect.

I just started playing Need For Speed World, and they still use their usual solution for "mechanic stuff", like engine tier 1 and 2 etc...

I just hope that we will be able to get both a good mechanic simulation aswell as a good racing simulation in sr3.

Sadly there is yet to be made a street rod game with a decent racing simulation (both sr1, sr2 and the previous sr3 all had horrible racing simulation).
Pedal to the metal

K52

• These are not the droids your looking for!
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/streetrod3
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:07:46 pm »
imagine i real car game i love to race but come on dam NFS kick them in the face, they even made it so ya cant change ya cars looks whats with this i want nfs underground 2 with street rods mechs

Come To The Darkside

TSJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 04:25:52 am »
Now that CJJ posted some nice screenshots, then I decided to post some in-game screenshots from the "latest" old alpha of my 32 roadster with various custom parts  8)  :

But also to illustrate the fun of the whole mechanic/car customization part of sr3  ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:43:05 am by TSJ »
Pedal to the metal

Maxaxle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:20:34 pm »
A few things.
1. What if we had a give-me-a-hint button? For example, click on it and then click on your engine to make it show you a labelled diagram of an engine, along with notes on engines?
2. It's not totally obvious what is and what is not useful; that which can be used should probably be either exaggerated (via color or lighting) or should show an outline when hovered-over (like in L4D/L4D2).

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:03:20 pm »
hhhhmmm maybe we can add some sort of newbie mode or something but, basically it is aimed towards people who know cares and engines.

Maxaxle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 05:47:17 pm »
hhhhmmm maybe we can add some sort of newbie mode or something but, basically it is aimed towards people who know cares and engines.
I know, but the idea being that it would ease new players into what they need to know. Newbie modes can be a little alienating or just distracting (players could learn "newbie mode" and fail to learn anything at all).

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 04:01:51 am »
Well if a newbie mode won't work then A) don't play, B) grab a real life manual. Seriously though properly done help dialogs would more than likely do the tricks the only catch is they would need to be optional & easy to turn on, as to not annoy experienced players.

Maxaxle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 11:58:51 am »
Well if a newbie mode won't work then A) don't play, B) grab a real life manual. Seriously though properly done help dialogs would more than likely do the tricks the only catch is they would need to be optional & easy to turn on, as to not annoy experienced players.
That makes sense, but IMO a touch or two more would help (like a diagram in the background that you can click on and refer to, or something).

cdoublejj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 12:12:22 am »
HHmmm not a very good idea but, in the old SRs there were always books or manuals laying on the bench. what if in SR3 you could click on those prop items/books to bring up diagrams, of course with help/newbie mode on it would tell you they were there and can be used. Not a great idea, just an idea.

speedyyouri

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 02:17:18 am »

Even simpler, make SR1 and/or 2 as a tutorial for entering SR3, that way you'll be having a easy learning curve without too much effort for the developers to put in the game, just expand the tuning system with manual valve adjusting and tire width options and you have your addons for SR3.

People who play SR3 without having played the 2 classics should be shot on sight.

Maxaxle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 06:28:28 pm »
People who play SR3 without having played the 2 classics should be shot on sight.
Not everyone can run DOSBox without issue (or at all!), though SR3 probably won't have the same problems,.

speedyyouri

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 06:36:13 pm »
Not everyone can run DOSBox without issue (or at all!), though SR3 probably won't have the same problems,.

Like I've said, shoot them, this is not a commercial product anymore

Maxaxle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 04:19:55 pm »
this is not a commercial product anymore
You're missing the point. I'm saying that some computers are physically incapable of running DOSBox, or at least at a decent rate. Besides, most long-running game series (most GTA-style games, most racing games, most FPSs, etc, etc.) don't require the player to play the earlier games, though it can be helpful. For example, TF2 is so different from TFC that it's more practical NOT to play TFC unless you already own it. The simple fact that something is easy to use from a modern-day perspective helps things along extremely well.